Have you forgotten about your Swallowtail stamp? It debuted last spring and did so well that this beautiful butterfly returned in the 2013-2014 Annual Catalog for Stampin’ Up! Although I have not used it recently, I knew it was the perfect stamp for an amazing birthday card.
You cannot live without this stamp! It is perfect for any occasion: birthday, wedding, bridal shower, thank you, thinking of you, new beginning. Did you know you can stamp two of them and adhere them back to back for a 3D butterfly. What about adding four and hanging them from the ceiling. Don’t miss out on all this stamp has to offer, order it now if you don’t already own it!
Here’s the skinny on making this card:
- Cut a 6″x6″ piece of Crushed Curry card stock, score in half to 3″x6″.
- Cut a Whisper White layer 1/8″ smaller than the base (2 3/4″ x 5 3/4″, that’s 1/8″ on each side).
- Prior to matting the White, stamp the Swallowtail in Staz On Black ink twice, hanging off of the page. It is imperative that you use Staz On permanent ink so that it does not bleed when you add color.
- Get out your Wisteria Wonder, Pool Party and Crushed Curry stampin’ write markers and start coloring the butterfly. Tip: I used a little bit of Island Indigo to shade a few dark areas.
- After you finish coloring add a thin layer of Crystal Effects to the entire butterflies. To apply, run the tip of the bottle over the card stock lightly touching the card stock, keeping constant contact with the paper. This will slightly displace the glue so that it has raised parts and deep parts. It creates amazing texture and after it dries you will have a glossy shine. You do not want to skip this step- it makes a world of a difference in this butterfly.
- Finish off the card with a round of Gold Baker’s twine, tie a bow and adhere the White to the Curry card base.
- Stamp your sentiment on the inside of the card on another Whisper White card layer.
It may be hard to see the shine on this card because fluorescent lights don’t do paper crafts justice, but I guarantee that using Crystal Effects will take your card from bland to beautiful.
Stampin’ Up! supplies:
- Swallowtail stamp (clear: 129216, wood: 131943)
- Crushed Curry cs (131199)
- Whisper White cs (100730)
- Staz On Black Ink (101406)
- Wisteria Wonder marker (131263 Subtles)
- Pool Party marker (131263 Subtles)
- Crushed Curry marker (131262 Regals)
- Island Indigo marker (131262 Regals)
- Gold Bakers Twine (132975)
- Crystal Effects (101055)
What will YOU create with the beautiful Swallowtail?